Thursday, March 12, 2009

How Recession Proof Shopping came to be

I've always been a saver and thought I had a pretty good concept of saving money until my husband was laid off from his union construction job in November... just 5 months after we bought a new house, 7 months after we had baby number two, with Christmas 2 months away, and bills still being delivered to our mailbox. If anyone has any experience with the construction field and unions, you'll know lay offs are to be expected. My husband has always been back to work within a month, if not sooner. This time is different. With the economy plummeting, he's still out. All the jobs are still waiting to be funded!

When we got the news, we sat down and went through our finances. With cutting back to the bare minimum, we'd be ok. As I took a second look at our expenses, I decided to take a second look at what that bare minimum really included. What expenses did I have control over? Groceries and household products. How could I get them for less and knock my bill down?

I turned to online sources. I discovered many blogs about saving money and decided to put my best foot forward and really try to par our shopping expenditures down. This has opened up a whole new world of being frugal for me. One I must admit I'm becoming rather attached to!

It is not uncommon for me to stockpile and spend anywhere from $10-$20 and save $100-$300 on groceries. I started telling family and friends about this and sending them pictures. I've had so many inquiries on how I do this that I thought it was time to start a blog to avoid loading family and friends email inboxes with emails titled "coupons" or "great grocery deal".



This was a recent Walgreens run in which I spent $16 and saved $177! This includes 6 packages of diapers and 7 packs of wipes!

So there you have it! Recession Proof Shopping's birth story!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe you got all of that stuff for only $16! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring blog! Thanks for posting a "how to do" so we can enjoy the savings like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca- it's not as hard as it looks! I'll be posting more "how to's" so you can do it too!

    Fred, thanks! I heard you're getting pretty good with internet coupons!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! After I review it, I will be happy to post it!